Can I sell music and videos online? How? 5 Answers as of April 30, 2015

How can I legally sell music and videos online? I want to sell music and movie related MP3s from the 1980s to present to consumers.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
Yes, if it is music and videos that you created. Music and videos are generally protected by copyrights. A copyright protects the work for 95 -120 years from the date of creation or for the life of the author plus 70 years. Based upon your question, you will need permission from each owner of the copyrighted material. They may each want a royalty for each copy sold.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/30/2015
Webb IP Law Group
Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
Make a deal with the people who own the rights to that music and get a written contract signed by them saying that you can.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 4/30/2015
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
The First Sale doctrine allows you to sell the CD or DVD that you own to whomever you wish. You can also buy these items from others and sell them on-line. That's the underlying basis of companies like Amazon. However, unless you have a license to duplicate the music or video, you can not make copies of the work in any format (physical or electronic) and sell those on-line. That would violate copyright laws. The exception is if the work is no longer covered by copyright which generally is anything created prior to the 1920s. ASCAP and BMI handle a lot of the copyrighted music; the individual production companies or film studios do the licensing for their movies.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 4/30/2015
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
You can sell "used" original copies of music and videos. You cannot make copies (MP3s) and sell those - as your copying violates the rights of the original producer of the music or video - COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 4/30/2015
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
You need permission from the copyright owners. This is a complex matter on which you will need legal counsel.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/30/2015
Click to View More Answers: