Can I revoke my sister's green card after two years of living here? 13 Answers as of November 30, 2011

I have filed for my sister and her family but I have not seen her for almost two years since they are here. I was told legally I am responsible for them for a period of five years. If I don't want to continue that responsibility. Can I revoke their greencard?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
No, you cannot revoke their green card, nor can you revoke your financial responsibility as a sponsor.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/30/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
No you cannot. The US government gives out green cards and only it can take them away. Your sister is just busy living what must be a very busy life. Let her. She really is responsible for herself once she is admitted to the US. Nothing will happen to your sponsorship. And if it does, you will know about it from the government. My take is to not worry about it and let it be.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/11/2011
Avrin & Regolsky | Estelle Regolsky
It appears that you are talking about the I-864 Affidavit of Support that you signed when your sister and her family were preparing to apply for immigrant visas. The I-864 is a binding contract between you and the U.S. Government.Your obligations under it continue until the person (or persons) who became a permanent resident based on a Form I-864 that you signed becomes a U.S. citizen or has worked or can be credited with 40 quarters of coverage under the Social Security Act or no longer has lawful permanent resident status and has departed the U.S. or dies. There is no way you can "revoke their green card."
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 11/11/2011
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
The USCIS revokes residency not sponsors. Once she becomes a citizen, you are no longer responsible under the terms of the affidavit of support. You are not responsible over her exactly. She can have bad credit or even file bankruptcy and it does not affect you. If she murders someone or commits other crimes, it has no impact on you. If she gets government benefits and is asked to pay it back and does not, that's another story. What are the chances of that?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/11/2011
Joseph Law Firm
Joseph Law Firm | Jeff Joseph
You cannot revoke her permanent residence once it has been granted. If you sponsored her and her family, you completed an I-864 affidavit of support on her behalf. That form is a legally binding form and remains binding until your sister obtains citizenship, or until either of you dies, or until she has paid in 40 quarters of social security earnings. There is no other way to disband this obligation. Under the affidavit of support, you could be required to compensate the government for any federal means tested benefits which your sister takes as long as the affidavit of support obligation is in place.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 11/11/2011
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    Once your sister and her family have received their green cards there is not much you can do. Your sister and her family are eligible for the green card as your sister. There is no requirement that a relationship be sustained. Unfortunately, your obligations under the affidavit will not terminate until the time period has expired or another conditions (i.e. citizenship) occurs.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 11/11/2011
    All American Immigration
    All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
    In a word, "no." But as soon as she has worked 40 qualifying quarters, typically around 10 years, or as soon as she naturalizes to become a US citizen, you'll be off the hook. I believe any lawyer would say the same, but you might consider asking one.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 11/11/2011
    Law Offices of Linda G. Dapaah, PC | Linda Dapaah
    Your affidavit of support contract makes you financially responsible for your sister until she has earned forty quarters of qualifying social security contributions or becomes a United States citizen. The deterioration of your relationship with her does not change your contractual responsibility. You cannot revoke their green cards for this reason.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 11/11/2011
    Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
    Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
    No - the affidavit of support is binding until your sister either becomes a U.S. citizen herself or she has 40 quarters of social security time.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/11/2011
    Kanu & Associates, P. C. | Solomon O. Kanu
    No you cannot revoke any of their green cards. You are not legally responsible for them but you executed an affidavit of support on their behalf which says if they become a public charge you will reimburse the Govt. Unless they become a public charge you are not responsible for them.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 11/11/2011
    Fong & Associates
    Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
    No, you cannot revoke anyone else's permanent residence.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 11/11/2011
    Immigration Attorneys, LLP | Robert R. Gard
    Short answer, no. You can report them to ICE if you believe that they have committed material misrepresentations in their visa applications, but short of that, you are pretty much stuck on the I-864 Affidavit of Support obligations. I've had this question come up often in divorce situations, and that is why I always try to make sure that my clients who are asked or required to submit I-864 applications have a good idea of what they are getting in to.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 11/11/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney