Can I return to the US on a tourist visa if I was deported in the past? 4 Answers as of January 27, 2011

I've been deported because they were suspicious about my returning to the states again. They assumed I wanted to stay and work illegal and marry my boyfriend. They didn't have any prove of it but made me sign papers that say they were my intentions I wasn't allowed to call a lawyer or anyone else until I signed the papers with their allegations what I didn't agree to but I was 19 and they threat me to put in jail if I didn't sign. They told me I can return back to the country only with a work visa. Can you tell if there is a possibility to come back as a tourist? It happened on 11 October 2008.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Unlikely it would be granted and you would need a waiver because of the prior deportation. A work visa has a stronger chance but again would need a waiver.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/27/2011
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
No, you will not be able to return to the US.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 1/24/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
I am sorry for what happened. Did you leave at your own expense?If you did not, a tourist visa may not be given to you. You can obtain a waiver of immigration bar so that you can come back on a visa before your immigration bar expires. You are welcome to contact us for professional assistance. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/21/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
It is unclear if you were expedited removed in 2008 or allowed to withdraw your application to enter the U.S. at that time. However, under either it is extremely unlikely that you will be issued a visitor/tourist visa since the consulate will assume that you violated your status in the past, or will do so now. That fact that you apparently admitted that you intended to violate your status as a visitor when attempting to enter in 2008 will be virtually impossible to overcome. Also, if you were expedited removed your are barred from returning to the US for 5 years.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: