Can I return to my country of citizenship while waiting for the grant/denial of my petition? 4 Answers as of December 16, 2010

I was wondering if I return to my country of citizenship while my petition is still on the process, will it affect my status? And when I return to my country, will I still be able to come back here in the U.S.? I have a U.S. visa and it is valid until next year.

The short answer is that you must have compiled at least 2 1/2 years of continuous residence out of the preceding 5 years prior to the grant of citizenship. You must have not departed from the country for more than 180 days at any one time out of the country as well, or it will be evidence of intent to relinquish both the application for naturalization and your legal
permanent residency. If you have remained within those limits, you should be okay, as long as you don't fail to appear to your citizenship interviews. Best to you.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
No you cannot return to your home during the pendency of an application, unless you apply and receive permission ( that is a travel document called advance parole). If you leave without the documentation you will have abandoned your pending application and would have to start over and there may other consequences as well.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
We would need to know more about the case. What's the petition that was filed? Have you been illegal in the US? Do you have a travel permit? If you want to discuss you case with an immigration attorney you can call us.
What kind of petition did you file? If your visa is valid, you can come to the States some time before the visa expires.