Can I request a paternity test for a child if the mother lied to me? 1 Answers as of July 19, 2011

Back in late 1993 I was dating a girl and she got pregnant, at the time she denied i was the father. the child was born and adopted out in September of 94, and few days after the child was born she had the child adopted. For some reason the bio mom approaches me last year (2010) and then tells me I was the father. I am not sure why, but it has bothered me about if she was telling the truth. Is it out out line to request some kind of paternity test, or paternity suit to establish where I really stand with this child? I can't trust the mom, and like I said I have no idea why she shows up out of nowhere to tell me this. If I am the father at least they would have a name on the birth certificate for the father. Any insight would be appreciated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of James Lentz
Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
This would require unsealing the adoption records for cause, and would neither be easy or inexpensive. Contact a local domestic relations attorney for further information. Non legal based personal opinion: Seventeen years ago you thought you might be the father of the child in question. That would have been the time to do a DNA analysis. To try to walk into the life of a child who is now seventeen I think would be cruel to the adoption parents and to your potential biological daughter. What purpose would it serve to interrupt her life now? The only reason I could even remotely justify what you suggest would be the need to inform the girl of a terrible disease in your family history. Absent the need to convey life saving information, if you came to my office, I would not take the case.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/19/2011
Click to View More Answers: