Can I request a certified copy of my late father's Will from the attorney preparing the Will? 1 Answers as of July 12, 2016

The copy my brother provided me seems to be altered.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
Late father means your father has died. Since your father has died, the attorney cannot be preparing a new will. If you mean the attorney who prepared the will while your father was alive, then what you need to do is request that the original will be deposited with the probate court in the county where your father was domiciled. Once the will is on file with the probate court, you can review the will to determine if it is altered. Please note that the will has to be admitted to probate in order for it to be accepted as the last will and testament of your father. By just having the will deposited with the probate court, the will has not been admitted to probate. The other issue is what assets where in your father's name at the time of his death that have no beneficiary designation? These are the assets that will go through probate. You should see an attorney who specializes in probate to guide you further.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 7/12/2016
Click to View More Answers: