Can I represent myself and write a letter before my court date to the prosecuting attorney and plead my case in hopes to get it dismissed? 11 Answers as of May 23, 2013

I was driving my husband’s car and he left his cannabis in the car. I was charged for possession. He has his card, and can go to court and tell them it is his.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Sure you can.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/23/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
While it is possible, it is more likely to result in giving the prosecution more evidence to use against you at trial, if the prosecutor is not persuaded to do what you want. This is one of the reasons why criminal defendants have experienced criminal defense attorneys representing them. Also an experienced criminal defense attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 5/14/2013
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
You can, but I would not advise it. The fact that the drugs were found in the car that you were driving is enough for a conviction. By writing a letter to the D.A., you will be basically admitting your guilt, even though you plan on placing the blame or possession on your husband. I strongly suggest that you consult with an attorney face-to-face before your do anything.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/11/2013
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
Represent yourself. Yes. But your post indicates a strong reason to believe that you are not going to be good at it if you think writing to a DA is going to help. Hire an attorney who knows what s/he is doing.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/10/2013
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
You will get a free lawyer if you are indigent, otherwise you should retain a criminal lawyer to handle the matter. Do not write any letters to anyone or try to handle the case yourself.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/10/2013
    Richard Wagner | Richard Wagner
    You have the Constitutional Right to represent yourself. I wouldn't recommend writing a letter to the prosecutor. Sounds like you may have something to say to the prosecutor, but it's best to have an attorney do the talking for you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/9/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    At this stage a letter will not help, however, schedule a meeting with the prosecutor to discuss the matter. You might want to rethink about getting an attorney to assist you.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 5/9/2013
    Loren Lambert
    Loren Lambert | Loren Lambert
    Of course you can represent yourself, but you will have a fool for a client, but sometimes even fools win. A letter is a bad idea. You should have representation but if you cannot afford it I would simply go to the arraignment or preliminary hearing and discuss the matter with the prosecutor.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 5/9/2013
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    No! No, do not write to the DA. Negotiating a case is harder than you think. It is possible that the DA would be reasonable, and would read your letter, check that your husband was a cardholder, and dismiss. But it is also possible that the DA would use your letter at trial to prove that you had admitted facts tending to prove your guilt: that you knew your husband often had marijuana in the car, for instance. Hire a lawyer to negotiate for you. If you can't afford a lawyer, the court will appoint one. The facts you provide are a decent defense, but you need a lawyer to present it for you.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 5/9/2013
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Not a good idea. Never volunteer first.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 5/9/2013
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot | Susan Correia Champa
    I would hire or at least consult with an attorney. More importantly do not put anything in writing to the prosecutor.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 5/9/2013
Click to View More Answers: