Can I reopen a Chapter 7 bankruptcy case? How? 9 Answers as of May 18, 2015

It is difficult to file a motion in order to reopen a bankruptcy case? I want to file financial management papers for discharge.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Generally, it's permitted to reopen a case to dismissed for failure to file the financial management certificate. ?First, file the certificate then move to reopen.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/18/2015
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
Reopening can be done via an ex parte motion. The hardest part is paying the $260 fee to reopen.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/18/2015
The Law Office of M Grater LLC
The Law Office of M Grater LLC | Mark O. Grater
Yes you may move to re-open but you must pay a fee to the court.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 5/15/2015
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
You file a motion to reopen and tell the judge why you want to reopen.   There is a filing fee of $250.00 for filing the motion.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/15/2015
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
Possibly too late to do that. Some courts take a hard position on that - others are more liberal. The filing fee is $260 and the cost of refiling is $335.00. It requires a motion, notice of motion and service. Look at the local court rules. Talk to a lawyer first, he or she may know the local judges take on that.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/15/2015
    Portland Bankruptcy Law Group
    Portland Bankruptcy Law Group | Christopher J. Kane
    No, it is not difficult. In Oregon, you have to use Local Bankruptcy Form 1367.92 to file the Motion. And the filing fee is $260.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 5/14/2015
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    There is a significant filing fee that you will be required to pay in order to re-open your chapter 7 case. Depending upon how much time has passed, you probably can do that. However, if you have any new debts it might make sense to just file a new case instead.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 5/14/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    Ignoring the many reminders the court sends you to attend to the financial management briefing is not exactly rare, so the bankruptcy courts deal with this kind of issue all the time. You can move the court to reopen the case in order to file the certificate as to the financial management briefing and obtain a discharge. The court charges a fee for reopening a case, which I think is $300.00. (If you do this yourself you have to come to the Clerk of Court with cash or a money order or bank check.) Good Luck.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 5/14/2015
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
    Just file motion to reopen to submit your financial management papers and then close case.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 5/14/2015
Click to View More Answers: