Can I rent a home after filing for chapter 7 bankruptcy? 22 Answers as of August 01, 2011

How can I find a land lord to rent to me? and if not, is there is some rule protecting me for renting?

Heupel Law
Heupel Law | Kevin Heupel
Yes, you can rent a home after filing bankruptcy. However, there are some landlords that will not rent to folks who filed bankruptcy, but most landlords know that you are a good credit risk as you cannot file bankruptcy for at least for years after your prior bankruptcy.
Heupel Law
Heupel Law | Kevin Heupel
Yes, so long as you’re married you file bankruptcy together even if you do not have any joint debts.
Keep looking, there are no rules on renting after bankruptcy. My clients have not reported any significant problems renting.
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
Just call until they rent, not problem in renting after the bankrupcty. Often it is easier because you have no debt.
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
Yes, you can rent a home after filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Some landlords do not check to see if you filed bankruptcy. Other landlords will rent to you if you give them a sufficient deposit. There is no special rule requiring landlords to rent to people that have filed bankruptcy.
    There is no rule protecting you from being turned down as a tenant because good credit is relevant to the decision about selecting a tenant. You can be rejected as a tenant for having bad credit, including having filed for bankruptcy. That is up to the landlord and many landlords don't care. It is a mistake, in my opinion, for a landlord to turn down a tenant because of bankruptcy since a person who has already filed for bankruptcy is a better risk since that person cannot file for bankruptcy Chapter 7 again for 8 years (or 4 years for a Chapter 13 case). However, some landlords don't seem to understand that is better to rent to a person who has already filed for bankruptcy than someone who is full of debts and can file anytime and also wipe out outstanding rent and stop an eviction.
    Lewis Adams and Associates
    Lewis Adams and Associates | Lewis P. Adams
    You can rent a home after filing a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. However, the problem many people run into is that corporate owners and some private owners of rental property may pull your credit report. If they do, they may not want to rent to you fearing that you may be a risk. Usually, private owners of one or a few rental properties are more willing to rent to you based on past references.
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    Yes, but good luck.
    You can if you find a willing landlord. Some will and some will not.
    It is not illegal for a prospective landlord to discriminate against someone who has filed bankruptcy. Eventually, you will find a landlord who is willing to rent if you are patient.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    There is no rule protecting you as landlords sometimes check you credit before renting to you. If a landlord gives you a hard time offer him some additional security deposit.
    Dan Shay Law
    Dan Shay Law | Daniel Shay
    Yes, you will be able to rent. Offer a larger deposit if needed.
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    It's a myth that you can't rent after bankruptcy. Most landlords are interested more in your current income and rental history than they are in bankruptcy.
    Selleck Legal, PLLC
    Selleck Legal, PLLC | Stacey Selleck
    I personally have never run into the problem that a client cannot find a house to rent after being discharged from a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
    Eranthe Law Firm
    Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
    Yes you can. Look for a landlord who cares more about what you are doing now and the fact that you are debt free. Some will take a larger deposit or a lease co-signer. There will be some landlords who will not rent to you based on a lower credit score, or the fact you have a bankruptcy on your record. It is within the landlord's right to choose the rental criteria. Being a post-bankrupt debtor is not a protected class under the anti-discrimination laws.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Law Office of Harry L Styron
    Law Office of Harry L Styron | Harry L Styron
    Whether or not you can rent a home depends on the landlord, and there is no provision in the Bankruptcy Code to assist you.
    There is no law, either in the state law or bankruptcy law that requires someone to rent to you after bankruptcy. Renting after bankruptcy is just like any other situation where you are asking for an extension of credit or a demonstration of your ability to pay a debt in the future. Many institutional landlords will not rent to you due to the bankruptcy, some landlords will require two months security deposit, and some don't check your credit, so you will have to spend the extra time to find a landlord who will rent to you.
    Mansfield Law Office
    Mansfield Law Office | Andrew S. Mansfield
    The answer is "yes," but this answer comes with a large caveat. There is no restriction on landlords refusing to rent to those who file bankruptcy based on a bankruptcy on a credit report. Almost all rental applications ask whether the potential renter has declared bankruptcy. Many landlords request permission to run a credit report. In this economy, it is hard for me to believe that landlords will continue to be as strict as they might have been in the past. Nevertheless, I advise clients that obtaining a rental home after bankruptcy is truly unpredictable.
    Law Offices of Alexzander C. J. Adams, P.C.
    Law Offices of Alexzander C. J. Adams, P.C. | Alexzander Adams
    There may be some landlords that will not rent to you, but I have never had a client not be able to find a place solely due to a bankruptcy. Generally, having an eviction on your record is a bigger deal breaker than bankruptcy.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    Sure you can. Just stay away from corporate apartments. Try to find an individual, and establish a rapport with him/her. Usually they won't ask for a credit report. If they do, and you get along, you could then point out that you're a much better credit risk now because you have some money freed up. Also, sometimes it helps to have 2 mos. deposit.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    Yes you can rent a home after filing bankruptcy, however it will be up to the landlord to accept you as a tenant.