Can I rent an apartment if I file for bankruptcy? 31 Answers as of July 09, 2013

I couldn't afford my mortgage and I don't have anywhere to go. Is it possible for me to rent an apartment if I file for bankruptcy?

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
If the landlord pulls your credit, he will see the Bankruptcy filing and take it into consideration.
Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law
Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law | Paul Stuber
Yes, you can rent an apartment. The landlord has the right to not rent to you. Most likely if you can get together the deposit and the rents requested you will be able to get into a lease.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
Yes, landlords are mostly interest in present income and past rental history than they are with bankruptcy.
Heupel Law
Heupel Law | Kevin Heupel
Yes, you can rent an apartment after you file bankruptcy. Keep in mind though that some landlords do not rent to people who just filed bankruptcy, but most do as they know you cannot file bankruptcy for another four years, and thus, you are a good credit risk.
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    Ross Smith, Attorney at Law
    Ross Smith, Attorney at Law | Charles Ross Smith III
    Sure. You can rent an apartment after bankruptcy. You may have to give a 3 to 6 month deposit in order to convince the landlord you are solvent. Make the offer, if needed to sweeten the deal. Flash some cash, if it seems appropriate. Many landlords do not check credit. Some even charge for a credit check and don't run the credit. Why not rent an apartment just before you file bankruptcy?
    The Barger Law Firm
    The Barger Law Firm | Jason W. Barger
    I am sincerely sorry to hear about your situation. As you are aware of, however, there are options available to you. To answer your question, yes, you can rent an apartment before, during or after bankruptcy. If you haven't filed yet, it is better to secure a rental contract first. A potential landlord may be unwilling to rent to you after you have filed bankruptcy. I would be happy to meet with you for a free consultation and explain your options to you, if you are so inclined. I look forward to hearing from you and, if not, wish you the best in the resolution of your financial issues.
    A prospective landlord can discriminate against a potential tenant on account of bankruptcy. This means that you might have an application to rent turned down in a given instance. You may need to apply for several rentals before eventually being approved as a renter.
    G. Anthony Yuthas & Assoc.
    G. Anthony Yuthas & Assoc. | Tony Yuthas
    Bankruptcy planning may be important in your situation. I would be careful about the timing of any bankruptcy to be filed. Rental is normally based on the policy of the landlord. You need to discuss your entire case with a bankruptcy attorney prior to making any decisions.
    yes... some will turn you down but I have never had anyone come back and say they could not find a place to live.
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    Yes it is possible to rent an apartment after filing Bankruptcy. You Kay be denied some places after a credit check, but if they allow you to explain the circumstances you may be able to overcome you credit report.
    Bankruptcy Law Center
    Bankruptcy Law Center | Bill Zurinskas
    Yes, you can rent an apartment after filing bankruptcy. Many potential lamdlords will pull a credit report on you and some will refuse to rent to you because of your bankrupty filing. You can avoid this by renting a condo or house from a mom & pop landlord and avoiding large apartment complexes and any landlord using a real estate management firm.
    Theodore N. Stapleton, PC
    Theodore N. Stapleton, PC | Theodore N. Stapleton
    Yes but it is best if you sign the lease before you file. I am happy to discuss these issues with you.
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
    You will be able to rent an apartment. Your landlord may require a larger deposit.
    Holmes Law Offices
    Holmes Law Offices | Martin M. Holmes
    Yes. You can rent. If your mortgage has not been foreclosed you may qualify for a mortgage modification. Both the Federal Government and the State of Michigan have programs to assist homeowners in modifying the mortgage to make it affordable. The State of Michigan provides housing counselors free of charge to assist homeowners in taking advantage of the various programs and in processing and negotiating for modifications. These are available even if you file a bankruptcy. If you file a bankruptcy your personal liability on the underlying debt is discharged. The mortgage company however retains the right to take the property. In the case of junior liens for 2nd and third mortgages, home equity loans etc. In some cases they can be " stripped off " and removed from the property, allowing the homeowner to retain the property with only the first mortgage payment. ( with or without a modification) You should consult an attorney that handles consumer bankruptcy to explore your options. If you are unable to or do not want to keep the property or if the mortgage company has already held a sheriff's sale you have two rights that remain with you. 1) The right to redeem the property and 2) The right to remain in possession of the property for a period of time. The period of time these rights last is called the "redemption period". It begins to run from the date of the sheriffs sale or foreclosure sale and lasts from 6 moths to a year depending on the amount of property and other factors. If the property is abandoned the period can be shortened to 30 days. During the " redemption period" you can continue to live in the property " rent free" without making any mortgage payments, or any tax payments. Alternatively, you can rent the property , keep the rent and live someplace else. Often times the mortgage company and their agents will attempt to intimidate the homeowner into leaving the property. Again, you should consult a qualified attorney to explore your situation.
    Benson Law Firm
    Benson Law Firm | David Benson
    Yes, you can rent an apartment. But if you are still in the property living rent-free, why would you move? The process of foreclosure can take a while and will be interrupted by your bankruptcy filing.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    Yes. You may be required to provide an extra deposit.
    The Schinner Law Group
    The Schinner Law Group | Quinn J. Chevalier
    Yes, but it will probably be harder for you. Most landlords these days run credit checks and blindly rent to whichever applicant has the highest credit score. That wont be you because you recently filed for bankruptcy (or youre considering it, which means your credit score is already pretty bad). But theres still hope. For the landlords that do credit checks, they might rent to you if (a) you can convince them that youre trustworthy with paying on time despite your credit score, and (b) youre willing to put more money up front than the other applicants. There are laws limiting how much and what kind of money can be paid up front in California (such as security deposits), so make sure you dont put yourself in a position to be swindled just because you really want an apartment. You should probably talk to an attorney first.
    Law Office of Robert Sisson | Robert Sisson
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    Yes you can rent a place, however there are some places who may decline to rent to you due to your credit. Try to find a single landlord rather than a big complex.
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law | Judith A. Runyon
    It is up to the landlord. As long as you have a job, it should be okay.
    Grasso Law Group
    Grasso Law Group | Charles Grasso, Esq.
    Yes, you can rent an apartment if you file for bankruptcy.
    Law Office of Xochitl Anita Quezada
    Law Office of Xochitl Anita Quezada | Xochitl Anita Quezada
    There is life after bankruptcy. You will need to find the right landlord. Some landlords will require a co- signer or a higher deposit. Good luck!
    You need to discuss moving and rentals with a lawyer before you file.
    It depends on the landlord. Some will deny you based on bad credit (bankruptcy), some will allow it if it was due to a foreclosure, but may take a larger deposit, some don't check credit.
    Yes. There is nothing that prevents you from renting, however you may have difficulty finding an apartment complex to rent to you if they run a credit report. You will find better luck renting a room or a home from a home owner. If you are in my area and are looking for an attorney,
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney