Can I rent after bankruptcy? 21 Answers as of July 15, 2011

My discharge was about 6 months ago. I've never been late with rent payments and I recently got a job and need to move to be closer to the new job. Will renting be a major problem? How much does the bankruptcy weigh against me if I've never had any problems with renting or banking?

Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
Yes
Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
Your bankruptcy will be carried on your credit report for as long as 10 years. If a prospective landlord does a credit check, this will pop up. Of course, it is entirely up to the landlord what they do with that information.
Tucker Legal Clinic
Tucker Legal Clinic | Samuel Tucker
Its up to the landlord. In some cases, a bankruptcy actually improves your credit rating.
Scott Leslie Taylor Attorney at Law
Scott Leslie Taylor Attorney at Law | Scott Leslie Taylor
Your bankruptcy should not be a problem for MOST landlords.
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
yes you can rent a home or residence after filing bankruptcy
    Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
    BK has an adverse impact on your credit report. If your future Landlord pulls it, they will see it and use the BK as part of their decision whether to rent to you. Your answer lies with the Landlord
    You will be able to rent. A few landlords may turn you down, but generally that is not a big problem, especially if you have a job. There is no reason you can't have a bank account.
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    Refusing to lease to someone because of bankruptcy is only an excuse and is seldomly used but used most often when a tenant does not have a good rental history.
    Ray Fisher Law Offices
    Ray Fisher Law Offices | Ray Fisher
    Renting can be hard but not impossible. Often you can overcome resistance to renting by offering a larger deposit or prepaying some of the rent.
    Law Office of Chirnese L. Liverpool
    Law Office of Chirnese L. Liverpool | Chirnese Liverpool
    You should be able to rent again. The only problem that you might run into is if they run your credit and your credit is not high enough by their standards. Other than that, your bankruptcy will not affect your renting. With best wishes.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Of course, you can rent after bankruptcy.
    Most landlords do credit checks. It is up to each one to make their own rules and decisions. It's probably best to call possible places before you even visit and apply, and ask them. Some will say no. With effort, you should find some saying yes.
    I could impact renting, but if you are willing to find a landlord who will take references from former landlords about your ability to pay rent on time, or if you can pay a larger deposit, or if there were reasons for filing bankruptcy other than an inability to handle your finances generally, you should be able to find a place.
    Financial Relief Law Center
    Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
    Bankruptcy may impact your ability to rent, depending on how the landlord assess your situation. Some landlords make determinations based upon credit only, while others will based upon active employment, a background check or references. Many people are filing for bankruptcy in the current economy and have a need to rent afterwards and they are finding places that will take them. You may be able to overcome any issues by providing references from your previous landlord and information about your employer and that the only debt you had defaulted on was credit cards, etc.
    Landlords can discriminate against prospective tenants on account of having filed bankruptcy. If you are turned done by one landlord try another until you find one that will rent to you, Good luck!
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    Yes, you can rent again. I recommend renting from individuals, where you can size one another up. Offerin 2 month's deposit might also help.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    I have never had a client have a problem renting after a bankruptcy but I always warn people that it is a possibility at some apartment complexes.