Can I remove what shows up when someone does a background check on me? 10 Answers as of June 03, 2015

I have caught for petty crimes like theft and possession of drugs. In 2010 I spent a month in county jail for misdemeanor trespassing and was on probation after that. I graduated from a four year school with a internship and am looking for a steady job despite the economy. I have grown up a lot since then. I am looking for a new job and wonder what employers will see about my criminal record and I want as much removed from my criminal record as possible. If an employer does a criminal background check, what can be done so the convictions and the cases will not appear?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
The only way would be to have the criminal record expunged. This requires you filing a motion before the court that sentenced you.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/3/2015
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
You will need to expunge your criminal record to remove the infractions. Until you do so, any background check will show all criminal activity.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/3/2015
The Gufford Law Firm, P.A.
The Gufford Law Firm, P.A. | Joseph Gufford
In this day and age, information amalgamators like Lexis-Nexis and the various online sources you see for criminal background checks, never forget. They track stuff and keep it in their vast databases, even if the person was not convicted. You may want to check with a criminal attorney to see if you are eligible for an expunction or sealing of any of the records. However, even if you are successful, the information amalgamators will still have it in their databases.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/3/2015
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Instead of worrying about all that, you need to focus your attention on how you can get those convictions expunged. You need to have successfully completed the entire term of probation, have nothing criminal pending, and not be on probation for any other offense(s). Contact a lawyer to file the petition for expungement on your behalf.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/3/2015
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
Depending on the number and seriousness of the convictions the answer is yes.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/3/2015
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    Arrests and convictions will show up on your criminal background report. Convictions for theft and drug possession are not eligible for expungement (removal) from your criminal record. If not much time has passed since you pleaded guilty, and if you were not represented by an attorney when you pleaded guilty, it's possible to hire an attorney to withdraw your guilty plea and get petty theft & misdemeanor marijuana charges dismissed or reduced to a lesser offense, such as "Littering"
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 6/3/2015
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    In Nevada ,you may seal a dismissal immediately Until sealed the arrest and the charge will still be on your record and it will show up on a background check. The procedure is as follows.: First we obtain your "scope", (criminal record) We will file the petition to seal within 2 weeks, asking the court to seal your record. The entire process generally takes between 3 and 6 months. Once the record is sealed under Nevada law, if anyone asks" have you ever been arrested or charged with a crime?" you may truthfully say no. The arrest and conviction will NOT show up on any background check. The filing fees for this procedure are about $300. We charge a flat fee of $1,500 (including the $300 filing fee) to seal your record. Let me know if you wish to proceed? We will send you an authorization which allows us to get your scope Once the Petition is prepared, it will be sent to you to be signed and notarized. Once you return it to our office, we will forward all of the documents to the District Attorney's Office for approval by their office. Once the Order is signed by the District Attorney's Office, the documents will be filed, and the Order will be sent to the Court for signature by the judge. Once the Order is signed by the judge, it will be filed, and sent to all reporting agencies in the State of Nevada. While this is not a complex process, it can take 6 to 8 months to be completed because of back log in each of the departments.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 6/3/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    I would have to examine your actual record, but for now you are going to have to deal with your record, and explain it and the changes you have made.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/3/2015
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    All of your prior arrests and convictions will appear when an employer does a background search. Just feed them the same line of horseshit that I just had to read: its a bunch of petty crimes. Oh, yeah that probably will not work. Petty crimes means petty criminal.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 6/3/2015
    Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
    It may be possible to remove one of them depending on when you got them and how they were disposed of.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/3/2015
Click to View More Answers: