Can I remove shoplifting from my record? 3 Answers as of September 16, 2010

How can I get a misdemeanor shoplifting offense from 1998 removed from my record?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Yes, you can have your conviction expunged or removed from your record. However, it will remain for some purposes such as court and police records, and for governmental purposes such as applying for licenses. The major benefit is you can deny the conviction when apply for jobs in the private sector.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/14/2010
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Records are forever, however, your misdemeanor conviction can sometimes be expunged by proper application and Petition to the court, if all terms of sentencing and probation [and at least one year of probation] are completed and finished, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively withdrawn and the charges dismissed. That does not remove the conviction, but merely changes the record to show conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement. If expunged, you would be able to say no to conviction on most private employment applications. However, the conviction is still a prior for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing and employment because of your conviction. If you are serious about doing so, and you think you qualify, feel free to contact me for the legal help you will need.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/13/2010
Click to View More Answers: