Can I remove myself from my fathers will? 10 Answers as of August 18, 2011

My father passed away in July, when his last will was opened by the attorney he was to pay off creditors first and then anything remaining was to be divided among the 3 of us listed in his will, material and money, however, I do not want anything material or money from what my father had. I also dont want any part in getting rid of his belongings. Do I have to file anything with the courts to remove myself from the will?

Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
You should file a disclaimer with the court.
Martinson & Beason, PC
Martinson & Beason, PC | Douglas C Martinson II
You can file a disclaimer in the Probate Court disclaiming any property from an estate. It must be done within 9 months of his date of death. Would be glad to help you with that.
You can refuse an inheritance. To avoid confusion, have a lawyer draft an appropriate document.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
It's called filing a "disclaimer" and each state has its own rule of procedure for doing that.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
Based upon the facts that you provided, I suggest you contact the attorney handling the Estate to discuss a qualified disclaimer. This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship. The response is solely intended to answer the question presented. Additional facts and issues are unknown to the responding attorney. Should you still have questions, legal assistance should be sought by making an appointment to meet with an attorney, rather than attempting to resolve the issue via e mail. This response is merely provided to give direction to assist you in the decision of whether you should contact an attorney or not.
    Asset Protection and Elder Law Center
    Asset Protection and Elder Law Center | Shadi Alai-Shaffer
    You only need to make this clear to the attorney and your siblings that you want nothing from the estate or will. You may need to put this in writing. I suggest you seek an attorney for a consult as this is a major right you are giving up and you want to make sure you are making the right decision and doing so legally.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    You may disclaim your interest in the estate.
    You should contact the attorney handling the Probate and prepare a waiver. They will assist you in this process.
    Tell the attorney you wish to disclaim any interest in the will.