Can I remarry here in the US with a US citizen if my ex husband and I got married in the Philippines? 10 Answers as of January 22, 2014

Hi. I just want to know if I can remarry here in the USA. My ex husband is a US citizen and we got married in the Philippines. We just got divorced here in the US. He filed for a divorce. And I'm a green card holder. My green card will expire on 2020.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of James P Peterson
The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
If you were divorced in Texas then you can remarry anyone but only after 30 days from the date of divorce.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/22/2014
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
If you are divorced then you can marry again. Makes no difference where you married previously.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/22/2014
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
I do not think there are any bars to marrying a US citizen.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/22/2014
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
Filing for divorce is insufficient. You must actually be divorced.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/22/2014
Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
If you and your husband got divorced, there is nothing preventing you from marrying in the United States.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 1/20/2014
Click to View More Answers: