Can I refuse to let my daughter visit her mother is the mother is drinking? 1 Answers as of June 29, 2011

My ex-girlfriend and I just went to Wayne Counties' Friend of the Court to determine who is getting legal custody of our 6 year old daughter. They have it set up (at this point) that she lives with me (as well as my current fiance, and our older daughter) and sees her mother on the weekends. My question is, this past weekend she called my home drunk and cursing me out right in front of our daughter-while she was still at her house- so I went and picked her up. She drinks a lot and gets obnoxious while drinking. Am I allowed to refuse to let our daughter go to her home during her parenting time due to the child's best interest and we are not sure if she is going to act right to our little girl or not? I'm not really sure where to go with this but I did call the Friend of the Court today and they told me I had to contact a lawyer. Also, we are supposed to go to mediation (I am trying to get full custody) but I found out from her mother that she won't be able to come up with the money for the mediation, so do you know if I still need to pay this money and show up if she doesn't or how does that work? If you could give me a little insight into what I'm in for I would greatly appreciate it.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dunnings Law Firm
Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
Does the Friend of the Court have a parenting time advocate? If so, give that person a call and file a written complaint with the Friend of the court. They have forms for complaints.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: