Can I refile my divorce in another state? 9 Answers as of April 30, 2014

I checked my divorce status online and it says Divorce-joint petition, dismissed. Does that mean that I am not divorced yet? I lived in a different state now. Can I refile where I currently live?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Andrew Oostdyk
Law Office of Andrew Oostdyk | Andrew Oostdyk
In Texas you need to have been a resident of Texas for the 6-month period prior to filing for divorce. If your prior case has been dismissed, you should be able to file a new case in your new state if you meet their filing requirements.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 4/30/2014
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
If your prior petition was dismissed, then you are not divorced. If you meet residency requirements in the State that you currently reside, then it may be possible for you to file there. You should consult with an attorney in order to determine what State has jurisdiction over your divorce matter, as well as any issues pertaining to minor children, if you have them.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/29/2014
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
Yes you have to file where you live.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/29/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
It sounds like somebody failed to do something necessary. Yes, you can file where you live, but your spouse will have to be served where he or she lives. If this will be basically uncontested, I suggest you hire an attorney to make sure it is done right this time.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 4/29/2014
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
That is what it means. Yes.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/29/2014
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    Yes to each of your questions.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 4/29/2014
    Smith Law | Sharon K Smith
    You are not divorced if the case was dismissed, you need to be in your current state long enough to gain residency status in order to file in that State. Most states are 6 months before they recognize you as a resident.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 4/29/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Would appear that you are not the worst, and if you currently have met the jurisdictional requirements of your current residence state you should be able to refile a case there.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/29/2014
    Borzilleri Law Office | Christine Borzilleri
    As long as you meet the residency requirements in your home state now you can file for divorce. They are generally 6 to 12 months, but I would check with your local family court rules for specifics.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 4/29/2014
Click to View More Answers: