Can I receive unemployment benefits? 1 Answers as of May 03, 2011

Can I receive unemployment benefits when my superior threatens to beat me and tells me to clock out then tells me if I leave I am done there?

David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
The myth about unemployment benefits is that people believe that no benefits are available if they quit. It all depends on the reason for quitting, but with the scenario you pose it sounds like the reason you will give for separation from employment when you apply for the benefits is that you were fired. The fact that the supervisor tries to defend the claim the way it appears from your detail might, may result in your having to appeal your claim and have a hearing, but so long as the hearing officer believes your version of the events, you will receive the benefits, barring any other testimony or evidence the employer tries to infuse into the hearing that may or may not be the truth, but that you cannot refute.