Can I really be issued a warrant for internet fraud? 16 Answers as of June 18, 2013

I was contacted Saturday that a warrant had been issued for my arrest regarding "internet check fraud." When I asked for the copy of the loan document, the person said it would be in the issuance package and that I will be arrested and I will be put in jail. I asked how this could be resolved and he informed me "money talks." I asked how much and he said 1000.00 by end of day and he could retract warrant. When I said there is no way I can come up with that kind of money he repeated YOU WILL be arrested and YOU WILL go to jail.

The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
This is an obvious internet scam. You should report it and have the person prosecuted, but he is probably in Nigeria or Russia.
Yes, you can be issued a warrant. And you only need to ask the question one time.
James M. Osak, P.C.
James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
Sounds like an internet scam. Tell him that you'll press your own internet fraud charges against him. And why are you so eager to pay?
Natty Shafer Law
Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
It sounds like someone was trying to blackmail you, but they are unlikely to be connected with the police or the prosecutor and have no power to determine if you are arrested. If you are arrested, hire an attorney immediately.
It sounds like a scam to me.
    You need to be careful here, it sound like a scam. Contact the court to see if there is warrant out on you.
    Law Offices of Hal Wright
    Law Offices of Hal Wright | Hal Wright
    Without more specific information it's hard to say but this sounds like a shakedown to me.
    MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
    It soundslike a scam. I would ignore it.
    Craig Epifanio, P.A.
    Craig Epifanio, P.A. | Craig Epifanio
    Yes you can be arrested for this, however, ONLY law enforcement can arrest you. Something sounds a little fishy so I suggest you talk to an attorney about something they may be doing such as violating the Fair Credit and Practices.
    Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. First of all, since we do not have all the facts, it is not really possible to answer with complete accuracy. With that being said, this sounds a little bit like a scam or an attempt to extort money from you. Who was it that called you? What is their relationship to the crime or the issuance of the "warrant"? Did the victim of the alleged "internet fraud" contact you or was it a police officer? Although internet fraud is a crime, once an arrest warrant has been issued, the payment of money will not make the warrant go away. Only the judge issuing the warrant can recall it and the payment of $1,000.00 will have no effect on the judge's decision. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation.
    You're being duped. Ignore him.
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
    Sounds like a scam. Only law enforcement can issue a warrant and it must be signed by a judge. Though I suppose it's possible that you are dealing with a dirty cop who wants to scare you into paying money, I don't think that is the likely scenario. What you are probably dealing with is an overly aggressive bill collector. In fact, if I'm right, then the bill collector is probably breaking federal law by threatening you that way and you may be entitled to compensation. Contact a consumer attorney in your area.
    Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC
    Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC | Tricia Dwyer, Esq.
    Whether or not you 'did something wrong', I recommend that you confer privately with an attorney with no delay. I recommend that you phone several attorneys in choosing, because it is important that you feel great trust in the attorney.
    It sounds like fraud. Companies cannot issue arrest warrants. Moreover, they cannot file charges. Given they lack that authority, they can't retract warrants either. The U.S. Constitution makes imprisonment for debt illegal. The whole thing sounds very fishy.
    Yes. Internet check fraud is a criminal offense. Depending upon the amount, it is probably a felony. Get yourself an attorney.
    How do you know that this is a real law enforcement person calling. I would get a lawyer before doing anything. This sounds fishy.