Can I re enter the US if I have been arrested? 4 Answers as of August 10, 2011

I have been arrested in the us 6 years ago for a violation of probation. I am not a us citizen. I have now been in France for almost 4 years. What are my chances of re entering the usa? Who do I hire and what do I do? My sister is a citizen. Will I be stopped at the airport with my fingerprints? I had left because I had a serious drug problem and france saved me in 4 years. I now want to reunite with my family.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
It depends on what the arrest was for and whether there was a conviction. You should try to get a copy of the disposition and consult with an experienced immigration attorney about whether there is a problem. If you are inadmissible, you may be able to apply for a one time waiver to come in anyways. If you are French, you will also need to apply for a tourist visa instead of traveling only on your Visa Waiver.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 8/10/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
You will need a waiver to overcome the past crime in order to re-enter.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/10/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
Ask your sister to contact us and we will find if you have a warrant for your arrest. If none, you should apply for a non-immigrant waiver at the US consulate in France.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/10/2011
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
You will need to hire an immigration attorney with criminal law experience to determine if your criminal record would affect your eligibility for admission into the US.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: