Can I quit and seek unemployment/compensation from the company? 8 Answers as of May 27, 2013

I am a manager at a retail store. My higher-ups want myself and my subordinates to fraudulently damage products so we can bill the company we are associated with. I know if I refuse I will be terminated, as I am an at will employee they will find a reason to fire me asides from refusing to commit fraud. What are my options? Can I quit and seek unemployment/compensation from the company? This are poor business practices that are company wide - they encourage fraud if it makes the company money.

Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
Best bet is to look for another job. Obtaining unemployment after a quit is difficult to prove just cause for the quit. Try to find another job first before you quit.
Law Office of Jack Longert, LLC | Jack Longert
I think its a real possibility.
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
Probably, but you should immediately contact an attorney to discuss your situation before you terminate your employment to be sure that you handle the matter as best as possible under the circumstances.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
If you quit, you are not eligible for unemployment. I would find another job, and stand by your principles. I would also require they tell you in writing as a direct order and consider complying. That way you would protect yourself.
If you quit because of fraudulent or unethical behavior on the part of the employer, you should still be entitled to collect unemployment. I suggest you may also want to inform the other company and the prosecutor.
    Generally, if you quit you will be disqualified, at least temporarily, from unemployment compensation. I would suggest that both you refuse to participate in any fraud and further state that is your intention to notify the executive level of the company and the authorities, a specially if there is any retaliation against you. The company is defrauding its insurance carrier and such is criminal. I would recommend that you see an attorney as quickly as possible given the fact you will need counsel and advice as to how to preserve all of your rights, including a potential whistle blowers action.
    WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
    If you quit under these circumstances, you will be entitled to unemployment comp, but DOL will disagree and disqualify you. If you can prove this at a hearing, you will win. But, this is risky, and you should not go to that hearing without an attorney. You may, instead, refuse to do this, be fired, and are more likely to be allowed benefits then, but this is also risky, and this will be on your record as a discharge. I am sorry I can not give you a more direct answer, one you could rely on. But GA DOL is just so risky. We say that they are "unencumbered by the law."
    Law Offices of Maxwell Charles Livingston
    Law Offices of Maxwell Charles Livingston | Maxwell C Livingston
    If you know they will do this, it makes sense to get an audio recording of what they say to you when they let you go. You should report illegal activity, and get as much in writing and as evidence as possible. If you do get terminated thereafter, you will have evidence of why.