Can I put my boyfriend on my truck title? 7 Answers as of February 02, 2016

My boyfriend got a divorce and they had to file for bankruptcy, chapter 7, so I bought him a truck. Is there a way I can add his name to the title of the truck or even put his name only on the title? He is making the payments.

You could always give him an interest in the car. But since so many relationships founder, it might well be wisest to keep the car in your name.
Yes, after he receives his discharge. There may be reasons you want to reconsider. Speak with a lawyer face to face to discuss your situation.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
You may put his name on title but it will be subject to any lien holder interest.
When a vehicle is purchased, the lender holds the title and you cannot add someone on to the title without the lender's permission. Lenders are not dumb enough to do that, so this is not going to happen. However, it is a pretty simple process to go to DMV and add another person's name to the vehicle registration. But no one ever wants to stand in line for hours on end at DMV.
Did you buy the truck after the bankruptcy? If yes, no problem. If you bought it before the bankruptcy and it was not listed as an asset, you should notify the trustee because it belongs to the bankruptcy estate (regardless of what the title says). If you have to let trustee know, it should not be a problem because the truck most likely had little to no equity.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    If it is post bankruptcy you may be able to but the payments are still your obligation. And even if his name is on truck and he stops paying it is on you not him.
    In order to change the name on a vehicle title, you need to get the consent of the lender.