Can I put my boyfriend's name in the birth certificate even if he is not the biological father? 10 Answers as of February 12, 2013

I’m 6 months pregnant and am in a relationship. He's not the biological father but wishes to be on the birth certificate. I want nothing to do with the baby's father. He abused me physically, verbally and mentally. He even said that when the baby comes out, he would brain wash her and make her hate me. He was using Crystal methamphetamine. My current boyfriend whom I've known for 6 years wants to help me raise my daughter but I'm scared I might get in trouble if I put him on the birth certificate even though he's not her biological father.

LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
If you put the boyfriend on the birth certificate, the father can still challenge it and get a DNA test. Do not lie.
You and your boyfriend would obviously both have to lie to do that.
McGuire Law Offices | John Smitten
Yes however he has to be present at the child's birth or acknowledge paternity in writing later.
Yes and no if you put his name on and the real father does not make an issue of it and stays away and say a year or two, or three down the road you split up then your boyfriend will be legally presumed the father and be responsible for the support of that child, and all the DNA testing in the world will not change that fact in the eyes of the court, he will have no chance of winning that argument, unless at that time the real dad voluntarily decides that he is willing to take on the responsibility, the key term there is VOLUNTARILY, and I have never seen that happen because they find out that the other guy is on the hook for child support and that is fine with them, so make sure this guy knows what he is getting into by putting his name on that document, he is saying I am the daddy and he can do it if he wants to, and the real father does not find out right away and objects, because with the passage of time the more the issue becomes moot, and the non-father becomes the legal father.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
You know who the biological father is. You cannot commit fraud by putting a different name on it.
    When the child is born you can name the child anything you want. The biological father could down the road request his last name be added but you can name the child whatever you want.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    You cannot put your boyfriend's name on the birth certificate. It sounds like it would be best to leave the father blank. If you marry your boyfriend and he wants to adopt the child, then a new birth certificate could be issued at that time with his name.
    Your problem is if the bio father wants to be known as the father and brings a paternity action. Of course, the likelihood of that happening is small since he will then be obligated to pay child support as well.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    If he is not the biological father you should NOT put him on the birth certificate. However, you do NOT have to put the biological father's name on the birth certificate either, you can leave it blank.
    See and attorney and discuss the ramifications of your planned actions, and do not lie, which means the real father or a black space should be on the birth certificate.