Can I purchase a rifle while on probation in California? 10 Answers as of February 28, 2011

Two and a half years ago I was put on probation for a misdemeanor "Wet and Reckless" DUI. Part of my probation terms was firearm probation. I was wondering if it would be legal to buy a rifle while on firearm probation in the state of California?

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
"Firearm Probation" is a new one on me and I've been in this business 40 years. I can't fathom why that would be a condition of a " wet " probation. In any case if that is the case, purchasing a gun would violate your probation but I don't believe the probation would prohibit gun purchase under the firearm laws. The best way to test this is to go bo a sport shop and ask them to run you through the system on the computer. If they red flag it then your'e out of luck.
There is no such thing as firearm probation. Read your probation/sentencing report and you will likely find you are barred from possessing firearms for a specific period. Barred means NO during that period. Violation could put you back in jail for probation violation, and you could face potential felony charges under both state and federal law for attempting to buy a firearm during that prohibition term.
All criminal cases are fact driven. The answers here are general answers as to what you may expect from the information you have provided. Sometimes on the same facts, courts may come up with different results.

If you have firearm probation as part of your probation you cannot own or possess a firearm. A rifle is a firearm. You may not buy a rifle when you are on probation.
Do not understand why the restriction. Does not sound logically connected. See your DUI attorney. You need to have the restriction removed.
I do not understand what you mean by "firearm probation" as no such term exists in the law. If you mean that during the term of probation you cannot possess a firearm you have answered you own question. If you think it means something else you should go to the court and find out exactly what it does mean.