Can I purchase a gun if I have a restraining order? 5 Answers as of May 30, 2013

After a restraining order is lifted, may I purchase a gun in California? 3 yrs ago a neighbor threatened myself and my child. I called 911 and a few minutes later, I notified the offender that I called the police. 11 minutes after I told them, they called 911 saying I threatened them with a knife. The police investigting determined they were lying and no charges were filed. The offender then applied for a restraining order and supplied a witness who lied , and she was granted a restraining order against me. When the order ends, am I able to legally own a gun?

Yes, but you need to make sure that its termination is reflected in both the court file and the CLETS computer system used by law enforcement.
NO. Anyone with a felony conviction, a domestic violence restraining order or a mental hospital commitment may ever again possess firearms.
The restraining order is not a conviction of a crime. Therefore, you are able to own a firearm after the restraining order is lifted.
I believe the restriction in CA is for 10 years. However, there may also be a federal restriction that is for life. Suggest you look for a "gun rights" attorney.