Can I purchase a firearm if I had a felony as a minor in California? 3 Answers as of February 18, 2011

I had a felony charge as a minor and completed terms of probation. And just like I was told the charges were dismissed. I was able to get in the military now I am out. May I purchase a firearm (handgun) in California?

I do not believe so, based upon what you described. Any felony conviction makes you a prohibited person under both state and federal law. Post conviction dismissal at the end of probation, called expungement, does not restore your lost firearms rights. However, if what you got was a deferred judgment, with no conviction ever recorded, and charges dismissed without conviction, they you would not be barred from firearms possession by that.

You can check formally by going to a firearms dealer and doing a non purchase check of your right to buy. If DOJ says you can buy, then feel free. If they say NO, that is the end of the discussion.
Once you turn 18 the juvi record should go away and you can buy a gun. a better question is why do you want a gun?