Can I purchase a car while waiting for discharge papers? 11 Answers as of March 19, 2014

Not without court permission.
I would wait until the discharge.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
You may purchase a new car at any time after filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy. However, if you are attempting to finance the purchase you may find it difficult to obtain a reasonable loan until after your case is closed, which may take a few months time.
Yes, there is no restriction in the bankruptcy law from purchasing a car anytime after filing the petition. However, some lenders refuse to make auto loans until your receive your discharge.
Yes, you can if you are not using un-exempt assets to do so.
    Yes, as long as you disclosed the source of cash you are using to make the purchase in your bankruptcy petition.
    Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
    Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
    If you filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy yes. If you filed a chapter 13 you need court permission if you are incurring new debt of more than $500.00.
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
    Yes, there shouldn't be any issue purchasing a car while waiting for your discharge. Any property that you purchase after the filing of your case is not property of the bankruptcy estate.
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    Yes, but hopefully you disclosed the source if funds you will be using and properly exempted them.
    Law Offices of Eric W. I. Anglin
    Law Offices of Eric W. I. Anglin | Eric W. I. Anglin
    If you filed chapter 7 and you can find a vehicle lender then you should be able to purchase a car especially if the vehicle you have has become unreliable. If you are paying cash and not borrowing money to purchase the vehicle then you will be free to do so provided that you are not transferring any assets that you owned prior to filing bankruptcy and the assets were non-exempt. If you filed chapter 13 and you need to purchase a vehicle you will need to contact the trustee for permission to purchase a vehicle.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    Yes, unless you are in a Chapter 13, in which case you need the trustee's permission.