Can I prove US domicile when living abroad? 2 Answers as of June 17, 2011

I'm US citizen currently living in Japan and trying to be greencard sponcor for my husband. As I've lived in Japan so long, I don't know how I can establish US domicile when filing I 864 form. The best way for me would be to collect documents while staying in Japan. But if I have to, I can go to Detroit where my brother lives to get DL, bank account etc. Please advise the best way.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
There is no legitimate purpose to get a green card for your husband unless he is planning to live permanently in the United States. You, yourself, establish a US domicile not just by collecting documents, but by actually living in the United States. You are going to have a hard time proving US domicile if your only source of income is employment in Japan.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/17/2011
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
Call an immigration lawyer for this one. All the facts need to be looked at with more detail than you can do in this forum.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: