Can I prove US domicile when living abroad? 2 Answers as of June 17, 2011

I'm US citizen currently living in Japan and trying to be greencard sponcor for my husband. As I've lived in Japan so long, I don't know how I can establish US domicile when filing I 864 form. The best way for me would be to collect documents while staying in Japan. But if I have to, I can go to Detroit where my brother lives to get DL, bank account etc. Please advise the best way.

Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
There is no legitimate purpose to get a green card for your husband unless he is planning to live permanently in the United States. You, yourself, establish a US domicile not just by collecting documents, but by actually living in the United States. You are going to have a hard time proving US domicile if your only source of income is employment in Japan.
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
Call an immigration lawyer for this one. All the facts need to be looked at with more detail than you can do in this forum.