Can I protect my ideas before getting a copyright? 1 Answers as of August 11, 2010

I have been discussing an idea that I have with my friends and colleagues. Is there any sort of way that I can prove that I had this idea first before getting it copyrighted, so none of them can take it? I guess what I am asking is, is there a way that I can show that my idea existed at a certain time prior to anyone else thinking of it? Do I need to also prove that it was my idea first before speaking with a lawyer? I am fearful (more fearful about my friends and colleagues) that they might also steal my idea.

If you have already disclosed and made your ideas public, it is a little late now to
protect it from your friends and colleagues. If it is actually worth protecting through copyright,
trademark, patent, etc., then consult with a lawyer in that field to see what can be done now.