Can I prevent license suspension in a minor in possession charge in California? 7 Answers as of March 01, 2011

If the crime had nothing to do with driving, then why does it result in license suspension? Is there anything that can be done to prevent license suspension? Also, can I get a conviction like this removed from my record or will it remain tarnished for good?

You can prevent having your license suspension for having alcohol in your possession as a minor by not being convicted. Even though such possession is not driving related that is the law. Sometimes a court (with an attorney's urgings) will let a person do a program of education and then dismiss the charge if it is successfully completed. You might consider getting an attorney for that reason. If you are convicted you can have your record expunged after you have completed probation successfully.
Because generally a judge can do almost anything as a condition of probation in the Juvenile System. But once you turn 18 the juvenile record is sealed Talk to your probation officer about this.
Was it in possession of drugs (and if so, what drug) or alcohol? Also, in regard to getting your record cleared, there are a couple options depending on the situation. How old are you? under 18? If so, you can get your juvenile record sealed. If over 18, you can get the conviction expunged. I can help you with all of this if you would like to call for a free consultation.
Yes, you need to hire an attorney who is familiar with DMV Hearings, because the DMV must be contacted within 10 days to prevent the suspension from going into effect.
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
For minors, there are several non-driving charges that may result in the suspension of a driver's license.

There are several things that may be done, both in Court and with the DMV, to try to avoid a suspension of the driver's license.

A sustained juvenile petition for minor is possession may be sealed after the minor turns 18 years old and is not on active probation.

Every case is different, so it's difficult to give out specific info without more details. If you want to talk about this case, please call my office.
    You can fight it and you can appeal it. Later in life you can get your juvenile record sealed, after you have completed all terms of probation on the charges. If serious about hiring counsel to help you now, feel free to contact me.
    Many times an attorney will be able to assist you to get the charge altered to avoid the license suspension. Anything that involves drinking will lead to a 1 year CDL suspension when you are under 21. Once it is on your record the only thing you can do is get the charge expunged if it was a misdemeanor or higher. If you plead to an infraction you cannot have that record expunged.