Can I post jail photos on the internet without breaking the law? 3 Answers as of June 06, 2013

I run a website that uses third party mug shots and re-posts them on a social networking page I created.

Gleam Law
Gleam Law | Neil Juneja
Under normal circumstances, yes. Mug shots are public record and therefore not necessarily restricted from sharing on the internet. Your specific facts might change this analysis.
Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
This is probably an invasion of privacy. Sometimes these shots are placed in the news, but only for a very brief time when the arrest is topical and only in the area where it is topical. After it is no longer topical, it can be an invasion of privacy. The typical arrest is topical only in the immediate vicinity of the arrest and only for maybe a week. In some places, the photos are also not considered public. You would need to check with a lawyer in your exact county. You also need to consider that someone owns the copyright on the photos, and see if you have permission from that person or entity to use the photos. Considering the right of privacy and defamation laws, you should probably expect to be sued and have plenty of finances for that.
As long as the person has been convicted of a crime (not just a misdemeanor) and your pupose for posting is legally legitimate, you should be able to post the shots. However, if you're intending to sanction or harrass or place the person in a false light or make racial or ethnic (or other protected class) derogatory remarks, don't post the shots. Frankly, this whole idea sounds a little creepy to me.