Can I petition to bring my stepdaughter to the US if owe child support? 2 Answers as of March 28, 2011

I petitioned for my stepdaughter to come to the US she was approved for the I-130 now I am doing the affidavit of support and I am worried because I owe the IRS and child support that I will be denied.

To my knowledge the law is silent on this issue and you are not prevented from filing the I-864 as long as you meet the basic asset or income requirements. You do need to show that you have filed your taxes with the IRS as indicated on the I-864 instructions so if you have not done so, that can be an issue. Also, if you owe IRS money, then this may prevent you from meeting the income/asset test. In that instance, you will need to locate a joint sponsor.
Yes, you might because you show a sign that your stepdaugher will be a public charge.