Can I petition my stepfather if I have proof the relationship with my mother initiated before I was 18? 4 Answers as of June 11, 2013

My mom and step dad started their relationship in 1985. In 1992 they got married while in vacation in the US, I was 19 and I was the legal witness to their marriage. Now I want to petition for him and my mother. If I have proof to their relationship prior to 1992, could I petition for him too? If not, could there be any law promoting family union that would allow my step father to join my mother?

Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
No, you were already over 18 when the step-parent relationship was formally established.
Start of relationship is irrelevant. They have to have gotten MARRIED before you turned 18 in order for you to be able to petition for your stepfather. If they did not, you can petition for your mother and then your mother can petition for your stepfather as her husband. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
The date of your parents' actual marriage will determine whether you can petition for your step-father or not. The date that your parents started their relationship is irrelevant. In this case, it is probably best for you to petition for your mother first and she can then petition for your step-father after she arrives in the US and receives her permanent resident card.
You cannot petition for your stepfather. Your mother and stepfather had to marry prior to your 18th birthday. You can petition for your mother. Once she is a resident, she can immediately file for your stepfather.