Can I petition my mother for residency if I am unemployed? 6 Answers as of January 18, 2011

I am in the process of doing the affidavit of support for the petition of my mother. Unfortunately, I am unemployed and collecting unemployment. Is it still possible to petition her? My husband is willing to sponsor her? What should I do now?

Your Question does not indicate what type of visa your mother is applying for. If it is a tourist visa then your husband can sign the Affidavit of Support or your mother can show her own funds for travel. If she is applying for an immigrant visa and you are the Petitioner then you are required to sign an Affidavit of Support. If your income is insufficient (must show 125% of Federal Poverty Guidelines for your family-size plus your Mom); then you will also need a co-sponsor to sign an Affidavit of Support.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
Yes. With an sponsor it will satisfy the requirements of the law for the affidavit of support.
Let your husband be co-sponsor.
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
If you filed your income taxes together with your husband then he can sign on the affidavit of support with you.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Hopefully your spouse can help by filing I-864A together with your I-864. He must show his taxes, W-2, paystubs.
    Yes you can petition (Form I-130) your mother even if you are unemployed. However, you have to file an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864). if you are unemployed, but your husband makes enough, you can include his income as your household member on Form I-864 and he has to sign Form I-864A. If he does not make enough then you still have to file the I-864, but you will need a co-sponsor to file another I-864.