Can I petition my father if he was never married to my mother? 3 Answers as of January 31, 2011

Can I file for a a Green Card for my father if he and my mother were never married?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL | Donna Nanan
Yes. You only have to prove that he is your father, not that your mother is his wife.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/31/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
For a US Citizen born out of wedlock can petition his father, however, you will have to prove either a bona fide parent-child relationship existed before you turned 21 years old. A bona fide relationship is when the father has shown an active concern for the child's support, and showing of communication with the child. Also, if the child was legitimated prior to turning 18 years old, was in the legal custody of the father at the time, and is the natural/biology father of the child, then the child can petition the father.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/31/2011
Hugo Florido ESQ.
Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
Yes, you can petition if you are a U.S.C. and more than 21 years of age. You will also have to demonstrate that your father legitimized you. That is, that he was actively involved in your life.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/31/2011
Click to View More Answers: