Can I petition for my step-dad to get his green card? 5 Answers as of October 07, 2014

I am 21 years old (American born citizen), my mother and step-father married when I was 17. I would like to know if I can petition for my step-dad to get his green card. My mom is a permanent resident what process would take shorter? He crossed the border illegally 20 years ago. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices | Juan Ramon Rivas-Rivera
Yes you could and it would be quicker than your mon petitioning for him since she is LPR not a US Citizen. In fact, she should consider filing for naturalization herself. You would also need to file for a waiver of inadmissibility since your stepdad did enter without inspection. Was he detained, removed from that instance?
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 10/7/2014
Mulder Law office, PA
Mulder Law office, PA | Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire
Yes. You can petition for your step father. You will need to submit your birth certificate and your parents marriage license.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 10/6/2014
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
It is not going to happen no matter who files for him.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/6/2014
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
No matter who is sponsoring him, the problem of illegal entry will likely prevent him from adjusting his status. Consult with an attorney.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/6/2014
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
Yes. Both you and your mother are able to submit a relative petition on behalf of your stepfather. Your petition should be processed faster because he is considered an immediate relative of a U.S. Citizen. However, you should consult with an immigration attorney before starting the process because he may have issues of inadmissibilities.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 10/6/2014
Click to View More Answers: