Can I petition for my step-dad to get his green card? 5 Answers as of October 07, 2014

I am 21 years old (American born citizen), my mother and step-father married when I was 17. I would like to know if I can petition for my step-dad to get his green card. My mom is a permanent resident what process would take shorter? He crossed the border illegally 20 years ago. Thank you.

Rivas-Rivera Law Offices
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices | Juan Ramon Rivas-Rivera
Yes you could and it would be quicker than your mon petitioning for him since she is LPR not a US Citizen. In fact, she should consider filing for naturalization herself. You would also need to file for a waiver of inadmissibility since your stepdad did enter without inspection. Was he detained, removed from that instance?
Mulder Law office, PA
Mulder Law office, PA | Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire
Yes. You can petition for your step father. You will need to submit your birth certificate and your parents marriage license.
It is not going to happen no matter who files for him.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
No matter who is sponsoring him, the problem of illegal entry will likely prevent him from adjusting his status. Consult with an attorney.
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
Yes. Both you and your mother are able to submit a relative petition on behalf of your stepfather. Your petition should be processed faster because he is considered an immediate relative of a U.S. Citizen. However, you should consult with an immigration attorney before starting the process because he may have issues of inadmissibilities.