Can I personally write the Judge a letter in my case asking him to look at the facts? 12 Answers as of January 24, 2013

Can I write the Judge a letter asking him to look at the facts that have transpired over the last 7 years? In which my Ex Husband has bullied, harassed, and taken me to court costing me over $45,000. His Attorney has filed suites or threatened too with every dealing in property, the judge has never looked at the previous dealings because his Attorney keeps mudding the facts with lies and the true facts.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Ticktin Law Group
The Ticktin Law Group | Peter Ticktin
It's not appropriate to correspond directly with the judge without providing the other side the communication as well. A letter is also not the appropriate method to have the judge consider information in your case. There isn't much information in your inquiry.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/24/2013
You can't write to the judge. You can hire your own attorney to make your case to the court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/22/2013
Law Offices of Julie A. Ringquist | Julie A. Ringquist
Neither you, nor your ex husband are allowed to communicate with the Judge without the other being there in person or sending them a copy of the Declaration that you are filing. It is improper to try to communicate personally with the Judge on your case. You should be explaining your side by filing a Request for Orders and Supporting Declaration of all relevant facts which support your request. Your other opportunity to share your side of the story is by your own testimony and that of your witnesses while at the court hearing. Keep in mind, that the information must be relevant to the issues that the Judge is determining on that day, not just a re-hashing of old information that he has heard before. It sounds as if you have a complicated case and need an attorney to help you prepare a good declaration so that the Judge fully understands your side of the story.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/22/2013
The Law Firm of Kristina L. Combs, PLLC
The Law Firm of Kristina L. Combs, PLLC | Kristina L. Combs
No, you may not write a letter to the Court. Parties cannot have ex parte communications with the Judge or Court, except in limited circumstances. You should hire an attorney to represent you. The attorney knows the process and the rules of evidence for presenting your case. Judges generally do not give much leeway for parties who choose to represent themselves.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/22/2013
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
Ex parte[without notice] communication with the Judge is forbidden. Your letter will not reach the Judge, nor be read.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/22/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    You need to rely on your attorney. If you don't have one, you should get one. The judge cannot consider a letter from you. That is an ex parte communication and he cannot look at it. The only thing the judge can look at are the pleadings in the file.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 1/22/2013
    Simpson Law Office, PLLC | Alexander J. Simpson, III
    No, you should not attempt to contact the Judge yourself. This is called an ex parte communication, and is improper in contested matters. You should consult with your own attorney, or if representing yourself, you can testify at the next hearing.
    Answer Applies to: Mississippi
    Replied: 1/22/2013
    Diefer Law Group, P.C.
    Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
    You cannot write the judge a letter. You can file a declaration and put forth your issues but it has to be a declaration sent to all sides.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/22/2013
    John Russo | John Russo
    No, that is called ex-parte communication.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 1/22/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    That would be inappropriate if you have been represented. If you have not you should engage an attorney and at least get counsel on how to approach the Court.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/22/2013
    Reade & Associates
    Reade & Associates | R. Christopher Reade
    Ex Parte communications with a Judge overseeing your matter (including a letter to the Judge) is highly improper and should never be completed. All communications with the Court should be made with notice to the other side.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 1/22/2013
    Reger Rizzo & Darnall LLP | Kathleen DeLacy
    I really don't know if that will help since the Judges do look at the facts in cases. Normally all the pleadings are in the same file so Judge has access to everything when something is filed.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    Replied: 1/22/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney