Can I pawn off my friends computer for not paying me back? Posted on July 25, 2011

This past Thursday, I let a friend borrow $25 which he said he would promptly repay the next day. He even gave me his laptop as collateral. He and I are having some issues and twice we were supposed to meet to do the swap but he's been coming up with excuses of why he can't meet. I really don't want his laptop, I just want my money back but if he's not going to repay it, I want to pawn it because I'm not in the best financial situation either. Can he take me to court for this? I mean, even though there's nothing in writing, I'm sure there's bank cameras at the atm showing me withdrawing and giving him money. We spoke through text messages and I told him what I might do and he said he was saving these text messages, to which I replied that all it was going to show was that he owes me money and he gave me his laptop as collateral. He didn't deny it. What's your advice?