Can I patent my invention worldwide? 3 Answers as of October 26, 2010

I live in America but want to make a worldwide patent. Is this possible? If not, can I apply to patent my invention in various countries I have no association with?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
Each country has their own patent laws and issue their own patents. A U.S. patent prevents others from making, using or selling a product which infringes your patent claims in the U.S. For example, an infringer could not manufacture a product in a foreign country which infringes your U.S. patent and sell in the United States. If you would like to prevent sales of your invention in foreign countries, you should consider filing a Patent Convention Treaty ("PCT") application. You will designate the countries (signatories to the treaty) in which you desire patent protection. You do not have to reside in or have any other contact with the foreign country in order to file a foreign patent.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/26/2010
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Not in 1 single document and it would cost on average about $15,000 per country.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 10/26/2010
Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
You can file for a US Patent and convert it to a PCT application within 1 year. The PCT application will designate any other countries and will provide you protection in those countries.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/25/2010
Click to View More Answers: