Can I patent an idea even if I wrote about it online? 3 Answers as of October 21, 2010

Before I thought of patenting my idea, I wrote about it on the Web in a public forum. Now that I am thinking of getting a patent, I am afraid that it could have already become public property. Will I still have rights to my idea?

Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
It depends on when you first disclosed your invention to the public. You must file your U.S. patent application within one year of the date that you first offered your invention for sale, publicly used it or published it. Please contact me if you would like to discuss the issue further.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
If you did this less than 12 months ago or if you did not disclose enough info on how to make and use it.
Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
You have 1 year from your first public disclosure to file for a patent. After that year, your public disclosure will be considered prior art against your own invention.