Can I own a gun with a simple burglary felony? 3 Answers as of April 05, 2011

In 2007 I was convicted of simple burglary which is a felony. I was sentenced under article 893 and ordered to go through 1 year probation, effective decision making classes, fines, and some other stuff. It's my first and only charge and I completed everything successfully and got a governors pardon. I was told by my probation officer that my rights are reinstated and that I may own a gun, but I'd rather hear it from an outside source.

Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
You should hire an attorney who will be able to pull your records and determine the actual status of your charges, conviction, and sentence officially. It may be necessary to formally expunge your records even if you have received a governor's pardon before you would be authorized to purchase/possess a firearm - something a criminal defense attorney will be able to handle for you. Expungements and background checks are something which our firm handles quite frequently. If this matter occurred in Louisiana and you would like to discuss your options in greater detail, please contact our firm at at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
The Law Offices of Stephen M. Wiles, LLC
The Law Offices of Stephen M. Wiles, LLC | Stephen M. Wiles
There are federal statutes which govern this. You can own certain black powder weapons.
NOLA Criminal Law
NOLA Criminal Law | Townsend Myers
If you were convicted of a burglary, you may not possess a firearm for a period of 10 years from the date your probation ended. See La RS 14:95.1.