Can I own a gun and hunt during gun season now that I am all paid up and off felony probation? 17 Answers as of May 21, 2013

I was on felony probation for the past 4 years and I’m all paid up and off now. Can I own and hunt during gun season now? Am I allowed to hunt during gun season with a gun? My charge was a M.D.O.B. I’m out of the court system now.

The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
If you are a convicted felon it is a crime for you to own or possess a gun. You will get a jail term if you are caught.
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
If you have been convicted of a felony, you cannot possess a gun. However, if you received "SIS" probation, it does not count as a conviction. You should talk to your former lawyer about the type of probation you received.
You are a convicted felon, and in Illinois for certain, and, I would imagine in other States, you cannot possess a firearm of any kind.
No you can't. You are a convicted felon and not allowed to own a firearm. After a period of time you can get your rights back. But the time starts to run after probation or parole is over. I think the minimum time is 3 years. After that period of time check with a lawyer.
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
If you are a felon, no.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    No.
    Attorney at Law | Michael P. Vollandt
    Not in California. Life long prohibition.
    No, you need to petition the court for your firearm rights back.
    You have a felony conviction? IF yes, then no you cannot hunt.
    Not necessarily. If your right to possess a firearm was revoked as part of your sentence, you must bring a motion before the court to have that right restored. If is NOT restored automatically.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    If you are a convicted felon, you may not have possession of any firearms, for hunting season or otherwise, unless and until your right to bear arms is restored. There is no "gun season." It is a 2nd degree, 15 year, felony for a convicted felon to have possession of a firearm. If adjudication was withheld in your case, then you are not a convicted felon. Find out if you are a convicted felon before you even think about having a gun.
    Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
    No you would be committing a new charge.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    No, federal law prohbits any felon from owning, using or possessing a firearm.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    Your probation agent should have gone over this with you before you were discharged. Some felony offenses create a permanent gun possession disability. Others create a disability for 10 years after discharge. I would not think that you are legal now under either scenario.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    If you were convicted of a felony, you can never own or possess a gun again if the court has dismissed your case after completing a deferred sentence, then you are not convicted if your deferred sentence is still active, you are still convicted of a felony not sure what MDOB is.
    Fairlie & Lippy, P.C.
    Fairlie & Lippy, P.C. | Steven Fairlie
    You cannot possess a firearm under federal law and likely under state law if you look at the Former Convict Not To Own Firearm statute (it depends on the offense under state law). You should talk with a lawyer about trying to reinstate your rights.
    Absolutely not! Under the 1968 Crime Bill, a convicted felon cannot own or possess a firearm. You have done will to comply with your probation. Don't shoot yourself in the foot so to speak. You must petition the court where you were convicted to vacate and dismiss the felony. Then you also have to petition the court to reinstant your firearms rights. I handle these matters.