Can I own a gun after record was expunged? 4 Answers as of August 13, 2013

When I was 18, I got a misdemeanor battery charge. I completed all necessary requirements and got my record expunged. I am 27 now and was wondering if since my record was expunged, can I own a firearm or do I have to wait another year.

Connell-Savela
Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
It should only be a 10 year time period if convicted it sounds like you got a deferred sentence that was eventually dismissed and then sealed or expunged that is not a conviction if you go to colorado bureau of investigation on-line, you can request your own criminal history if it shows a conviction, then you may have to wait if it shows dismissed, then you should be eligible now if you go to a gun shop and try to purchase, they will do a background check and tell you if you can buy if you think their result is wrong, then you can contact me to help fix the CBI record.
I need more facts. In any event, gun rights are not automatically restored. It requires an actual petition before the court.
Law Office of Paul Carmouche | Paul J Carmouche
Yes, you can own a firearm in Louisiana and especially after your record was expunged.
Talk with your local law enforcement, it sounds like you can now own a weapon.