Can I opt out of my lease if the apartment complex caught on fire? 7 Answers as of July 03, 2013

Last week my apartment burned to the ground. My lease is through December, and the apartment complex just moved me into another unit without me signing anything, or asking if I even wanted to stay. Do I have any rights in my lease? Can I opt-out since the other unit is gone?

Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
It depends upon what is in the lease about that situation.
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
If the units are substantially identical, you may be stuck, but there is usually a paragraph in the lease that discusses destruction or fire. Read your lease first.
Answer Applies to: Maine
Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law | Michael R. Nack
I would have to read your lease before I could advise you concerning your legal rights.
You have to read your lease and see what it says about destruction of the unit. You may or may not be able to walk away or may only be able to walk away after giving written notice or subject to other conditions. There may also be time limits so look into it right away.
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
It depends what your lease says. Apartment complex acted promptly to mitigate damages. Your lease will be up in 4 months anyway. You can tell apartment you do not like new unit and want to be let out of lease. Worst they can say is no.