Can I obtain US citizenship with eight arrests? 9 Answers as of November 01, 2012

I went to my naturalization interview on 10/12/12 and passed all my civics test, but then I got the bad news and was handed a form called n-14 because I have 8 arrests 1 dui on 1995. 1 possession of marijuana 4 sale on 1996 charges were never filed in this case and no record exists, 1 dui on 1997 charges were dismissed on appeals court but ended up serving 4 mos. For this charge.1, disorderly conduct charge on 1998 charge was dismissed. One criminal damage and disorderly conduct/fighting charge on 2004 charges dismissed as damage was less than 50.00 dollars at my siblings house. One dui, criminal deface /threat intimidate w/injury-damage property charge. On 2006, charges dismissed except the dui, 1-day jail + fines. One dui charge w/ suspended license on 2009 all charges dismissed. I had to obtain certified copies of arrest records and court dispositions on all cases. Is if I might get placed for removal proceedings or if I might get lucky and naturalize, I became a resident alien on 1985 when I was 13 years old I am 40, my mom naturalized on 1985 and my dad on 2000. Maybe I derived citizenship. I owe nothing all fines were paid and I been sober since last dui, does this make me of good moral character yet? I can obtain letters from parents stating to my rehabilitation as well from past employers stating that I was good employee. The immigration interviewer told me the only hurdle I might have to naturalize is the 2009 arrest but that he had to see all certified copies of the cases to make a decision. Thanks in advance for your advice. Ps. I have to return copies before 11/12/12 or application will be denied what should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You should do exactly what the Officer told you to do: get him certified copies of the 2009 arrest. Next time consult with a lawyer 1st.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/1/2012
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
To assess your eligibility for naturalization, I would need to see the denial as well as fully review our immigrant and criminal history.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/1/2012
Law Office of Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
You need to consult with an attorney, and have your full arrest records AND your parents naturalization applications/certificates if available.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 11/1/2012
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
You are fine. A mere arrest and no conviction in 2009 should not hurt you. You could have acquired citizenship only if you were living with your single mother who had primary custody.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/31/2012
Law Office of Grady G Gauthier | Grady G Gauthier
I seriously suggest you work with a lawyer on responding to this request if you have not been working with one yet on the naturalization application. It does not seem you have a bar to establishing good moral character based on your facts but you must establish your good moral character not only through court records as requested but also by getting letters and references written by others. Feel free to contact me or another immigration attorney of your choice to set up a phone consultation for further information.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/31/2012
    Calderón Seguin PLC
    Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
    You should get yourself to an experienced lawyer to answer these questions. You are on a time deadline. Get the certified dispositions and bring them to a lawyer. It sounds like you should be okay, but a good lawyer cannot speculate about the actual dispositions without seeing the documents.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 10/31/2012
    Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
    You may file for naturalization, but note that USCIS may deny the application based upon absence of good moral conduct/character.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 10/31/2012
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    SwagatUSA, LLC | Dhenu Savla
    The best case scenario would be if you derived or acquired citizenship because with the number of your arrests and the fact that at least one was related to a drug arrest, makes it difficult for you to naturalize easily. You should have sought the advice of an immigration attorney before applying. In any case, first find out if you are a citizen and next apply for an N600 if you are.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 10/30/2012
    Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
    Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
    My suggestion is that you have an attorney help with the preparation of your application and proof of good moral character. The question of automatic citizenship depends on what and when your parents filed for their citizenship. We need to see the applications and verify if you were an underage dependent at the time.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 10/30/2012
Click to View More Answers: