Can I obtain my property if I filed for bankruptcy? 15 Answers as of June 06, 2011

I filed bankruptcy 2yrs. ago because I wasn't able to pay my jet ski. My case went good everything got discharged but the jet ski hasn't been pick up I still have it but I don't know what to do with it, does it belong to me? Or what, who is responsible to pick it up?

California's Largest Family of Attorneys
California's Largest Family of Attorneys | Doan Law Firm
If the lender does not take back the jet ski, you can keep it and use it. The lender can, however, pick it up at any time. You can call the lender to ask.
Jackson White, PC
Jackson White, PC | Spencer Hale
Well, the bankruptcy discharged your personal liability on loan for the jet ski, but the bank still holds a lien on the title. The bank should come and pick it up. Otherwise you could probably contact the bank to enter a settlement with them to release the lien so you can keep the jet ski.
This happens quite frequently. You can reopen the bankruptcy and file a motion to redeem it for some nominal sum. Then you would own it. However, as long as it is registered and insured, there is no reason why you can't use it now.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
You should make arrangements with the creditor to take possession and if not, to release title to you.
Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
Just keep it and don't worry.
    Did one of your creditors have a lien against the jetski (i.e. was it a secured debt)? If so, they will continue to have a lien against it and can repossess it in accordance with your state's laws. Whether they will or not is another story altogether, but you can certainly use it until they do.
    Contact your lawyer. Usually you can use it until and unless they get it. If you want a final resolution, pay a lawyer to write the creditor.
    When a creditor has a security interest in property you don't own it free and clear after receiving a discharge. If the creditor hasn't contacted you about picking it up or you turning it in, the possibility is that the creditor has no intention to do so. However, if the creditor intends to repossess you must give it up or be liable for the market value of the jet ski.
    Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr.
    Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr. | John J. Ferry, Jr.
    You should check with your bankruptcy attorney, but you probably agreed to surrender the jet ski back to the lien holder. Still, until they pick it up or make arrangements to get it from you, it is your property. So in the meantime...Happy Jet Skiing!
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
    You need to check your Petition and Schedules to see how the jet ski was handled. Was it surrendered? If so, then the Trustee should have arranged for its pick up.
    The jet ski belongs to you subject to the lien of the bank. Therefore, you cannot sell it. Just continue to enjoy it until the bank decides to pick it up. The bank might never pick it up since the cost of doing that and selling it might not be worth it. You might want to contact the bank and offer some money to have the lien released. The bank is responsible for picking it up at your home.
    Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
    Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
    Who has the pink slip? You rightfully either must clear the title to be the owner and pay the debt owed on it, or surrender it.
    Benson Law Firm
    Benson Law Firm | David Benson
    The lender probably concluded it wasn't worth the expense.
    Daniel Hoarfrost, Attorney at Law
    Daniel Hoarfrost, Attorney at Law | Daniel Hoarfrost
    It belongs to you until a secured lender shows up claiming a lien in it.It sounds as though the store decided not to spend the money to go after it.
    The Law Office of Brian Nomi
    The Law Office of Brian Nomi | Brian H. Nomi
    Looks like the bank lost interest. Enjoy the jet ski while you can. In a few years it will probably be worth nothing at all. Congratulations on getting lucky with this!