Can I obtain a green card if I overstayed but still have a valid visa? 1 Answers as of April 15, 2011

I'm a student in college now will like to be able to get a job to pay expenses will like to become legal.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You will need someone to sponsor you 1st. If you are or will be some USC's immediate relative, then you can go ahead and adjust your status since your overstaying will be forgiven by virtue of your immediate relative status. Otherwise, you will need a sponsor of some kind and have a valid visa. Now, a valid entry visa (the kind you get at the embassy/consulate abroad) is often only an application for admission in the US, not a visa to stay in the US. Your authorized length of stay will often be found on your I-94/I-94W or other document not affixed to your passport. I hope this is what you mean by valid visa. Good Luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: