Can I move to a foreign country after filing bankruptcy? 21 Answers as of July 22, 2011

I want to move to a country that is cheaper if possible.

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
You can move wherever you want. However, you'll need to make a personal experience at the 341 meeting so don't take off quite yet
As long as you attend the 341 meeting of creditors your continued presence is not required. You are free to re-located anywhere in the world.
Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C.
Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C. | J. Thomas Black
Yes, you can move to a foreign country after filing bankruptcy. If a chapter 7, you would likely not want to move, until the case was over. Sec. 343 of the Bankruptcy Code says that the Debtor "shall" appear at the Sec. 341(a) Meeting of Creditors. You could move after that, but creditors or the Trustee has 60 days after the first date set for your Sec. 341(a) Meeting of Creditors to object to the discharge of a debt, or the discharge or all of your debts, so you probably should not move until after that period runs, just in case your attorney needed you to testify. If no one objects, you usually receive your discharge very soon after the running of the 60 day period. Then you could go. In Chapter 13, once your plan was confirmed by the Court, I don't know of any reason why you could not move. You would have to continue to pay the payments required by your chapter 13 plan. I have clients that have moved to Panama, and the Philippines, to lower their cost of living.
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    Tucker Legal Clinic
    Tucker Legal Clinic | Samuel Tucker
    You need to be available for the 341 hearing and anything else that might come up before discharge, but there is nothing in the bankruptcy law to keep you from going wherever you want to go.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    I know of no reason why you can't move wherever you want as long as they will let you immigrate there. I have heard, but never actually had it come up, that there are a few countries that will not take someone who has recently filed bankruptcy because they believe that there is a greater likelihood that you will not be able to support yourself, so I would check with the country's embassy first to make sure there is no problem.
    Ray Fisher Law Offices
    Ray Fisher Law Offices | Ray Fisher
    Rosenberg & Press
    Rosenberg & Press | Max L. Rosenberg
    No! You must remain in the United States forever now. Just kidding! After discharge, all things become possible. Bon voyage and thanks for tuning in!
    Rosenberg & Press, LLC
    Rosenberg & Press, LLC | Christopher D. Hite
    After your discharge enters, move wherever you want. Obviously, if you move after you file and don't follow through and attend a 341 hearing, second credit counseling class and other requirements, you will not receive a discharge.
    The Law Office of Marvin Wolf
    The Law Office of Marvin Wolf | Marvin Wolf
    The U.S. Constitution provides for freedom of travel between states, and treaties between countries permit travel from one country to another. A debtor usually needs to appear for the Meeting of Creditors after filing bankruptcy, which usually takes place about a month after filing. Nothing in bankruptcy law prevents a debtor from moving once they have fulfilled their legal obligation to the courts. Sometimes, a debtor can file after they move as well, but this is a trickier process. I had a debtor once who appeared at the creditor meeting, then caught a plane to Europe right after the meeting. Fortunately, the trustee didn't have any delays that day and the meeting was completed on time.