Can I move to a different state with my unborn child? 10 Answers as of January 15, 2014

I am not married and the short term relationship with the father has ended. I will have financial and family support where I'm moving at as well as part time online school and part time job. I will have full residency there before my daughter is born.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
Yes, unless you are stopped by a court order.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/15/2014
The Law Firm of Jessica M. Cotter, P.L.L.C. | Jessica M. Cotter
Since there are presumably no orders or actions regarding the child in the state you are presently in I do not believe that there is any impediment to your moving to another state. That, of course, does not preclude the biological father from filing an action in the state where the child is ultimately born Also, if you apply for any state benefits the state child support agency may require you to disclose the name of the father, and that agency may bring an action to establish child support.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 1/9/2014
The Law Office of James P Peterson
The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
Yes you may move out of state to give birth to your child.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/9/2014
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
Go wherever you want. After the child is born and you have been wherever long enough you can file for custody and support.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/9/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Yes, since there is no custody order in place, you can move.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 1/9/2014
    Attorney & Counselor at Law | Jeffrey B. Hammerlund
    The simple answer is yes the child is not born here in this state so I cannot be a ward of the state you can only be a ward of the state in which is born.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 1/9/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    You are free to move wherever you wish as long as there is not a court order to prevent it.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/8/2014
    Peacock Law Group of the Lowcountry, LLC | Richard Peacock
    In SC, you and the father of your child both have certain rights in regards to custody, visitation and support of the child once he/she is born. You should consult with an attorney in person as soon as possible in regards to this matter. I do hereby clearly advise against any reliance on the information as advice or application of it to a specific situation without a more thorough consultation with counsel.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 1/8/2014
    Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
    Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
    There is currently nothing that would stop you from moving. Just keep in mind that if the father pursues establishing paternity, legal decision-making (custody), and parenting time (visitation), the child could be required to come back to Arizona for visits.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 1/8/2014
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    If the child is not yet been born, there is no reason why you cannot relocate to another state. Keep in mind, that once the child is born, it is possible that the father might file an action to establish some sort of time-sharing with the child, but he would have to serve you in whatever state that you are moving to.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 1/8/2014
Click to View More Answers: