Can I move to another state after filing a bankruptcy? 12 Answers as of July 27, 2011

I currently live in CA and am filing for bankruptcy. Can I move to another state after I file or do I have to stay in CA?

You can move, but you have to go to your hearing. You will also need to file a change of address with the court.
You can certainly move to another state anytime after filing the case so long as you attend the meeting of creditors.
You can move anywhere you want.
When a bankruptcy is filed there is a section 341 meeting of creditors that the debtor must be present. After the appearance the debtor can move anywhere. If the debtor moves prior to the meeting, he or she will have to travel from there to attend.
Uriarte & Wood, Attorneys at Law
Uriarte & Wood, Attorneys at Law | Robert G. Uriarte
You can go anywhere you like as long as you have already appeared at your 341(a) hearing. You will need to file a change of address form with the court, so that you continue getting notices.
    Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
    Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
    You are free to move anywhere that you like after you file bankruptcy. You will need to appear for a meeting of creditors in the state that you filed bankruptcy, and said meeting could be continued one or more times, but you could always come back to California for this hearing if you have moved out of state.
    The Orantes Law Firm
    The Orantes Law Firm | Giovanni Orantes
    Your ability to move to a different state is not affected by filing bankruptcy. You may, however, need to come back to California for the required Section 341(a) meeting if you leave before it takes place.
    Law Office of Harry L Styron
    Law Office of Harry L Styron | Harry L Styron
    You may move at any time. You must, however, attend the meeting of creditors (341 meeting) regardless of where you live.
    Ellahie & Farooqui LLP
    Ellahie & Farooqui LLP | Javed Ellahie
    Of course you can but you do have to make an appearance at what is referred to as a 341 meeting (or a meeting of creditors), where you are examined by the bankruptcy trustee, there may be other appearances that your attorney should generally be able to handle without you. You may also be able to appear at of close to your new location if you work this out with the US Trustee before hand. Again something your attorney should be able to advise you on.
    Dan Shay Law
    Dan Shay Law | Daniel Shay
    Yes, you can move. Just be sure to attend your 341 hearing.
    You have to be available for whatever meetings your are required to attend in California during the case, but there is no prohibition against moving after the date you file.